|Al Kufrah (الكفرة)|
|Area||483,510 km2 (186,684 sq mi) |
|Population||50,104 (2006) |
|Density||0 / km² (0 / sq mi)|
Al Kufrah (Arabic: الكفرة Al Kufra), also spelled Cufra, is the largest district of Libya. Its capital is Al Jawf, one of the oases in Kufra basin.  There is a very large oil refinery near the capital. In the late 15th century, Leo Africanus reported an oasis in the land of the Berdoa, visited by a caravan coming from Awjila. It is possible that this oasis was identical with either the Al Jawf or the Taiserbo oasis, and on early modern maps, the Al Kufra region was often labelled as Berdoa based on this report. The name Kufra itself is a derivation from kafir, the Arabic term for non-Muslims. Al Kufra did not fall under the dominion of either the Arabs or the Ottomans and was colonized by Arabized Berber tribe of the Zuwayya only in the mid 19th century, and eventually by the Italians by the 1930s.
- Al Wadi al Jadid Governorate, Egypt - east
- ash-Shamaliyah State, Sudan - southeast
- Shamal Darfor State, Sudan - far southeast
- Bourkou-Ennedi-Tibesti Region, Chad - south
Domestically, it borders the following districts:
Before 2007, Al Kufrah District was larger, including a strip of desert in the north that has been moved to Al Wahat district (map).
Besides the main Oasis group of the Kufra basin, four more oases belong to the region, which lie northwest of Kufra basin: Rabyānah, Buzaymah, Wadi Zighen and Tāzirbū. The oasis-valleys of Jabal Arkanu and Jabal Al-Uwaynat lie southeast of the basin. 
- Bertarelli, L.V. (1929). Guida d'Italia, Vol. XVII (in Italian). Milano: Consociazione Turistica Italiana.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- Before 2007 administrative reorganization
- "Districts of libya". statoids.com. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- Francesca Di Piazza (2005). Libya in Pictures. Twenty-First Century Books. ISBN 0-8225-2549-6.
- Friedrich Gerhard Rohlfs, Reise von Tripolis nach der Oase Kufra (1881).
- "Japan nuclear crisis". BBC News. 26 March 2011.
- Bertarelli (1929), p. 515.
|This Libya location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
ar:شعبية الكفرة cs:Al-Kufra da:Al Kufrah de:Al-Kufra es:Al Kufrah eo:Al Kufra eu:Al Kufrah fr:Al-Koufrah ko:알쿠프라 주 id:Al Kufrah it:Municipalità di Cufra lt:Kufros savivaldybė hu:Kufra tartomány ms:Al Kufrah nl:Al Kufrah no:Al Kufrah pl:Al-Kufra pt:Al Kufrah ro:Districtul Al Kufrah ru:Эль-Куфра (муниципалитет) sco:Al Kufrah Destrict sv:Al Kufrah (distrikt) tr:El Kufra ili vo:Kufriän zh:庫夫拉省