|Founder||Cedric Dahl, Bennett Hoffman|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Cedric Dahl (CEO)|
Bennett Hoffman (CTO)
Kevin Zhou (Head Economist)
Kevin Adams (Lead Developer)
|Services||Buy, sell, and trade bitcoin|
|Total assets||~$1.6 million (2013)|
Number of employees
Buttercoin is a private American start-up company that provides digital currency exchange services to the US. Specifically, Buttercoin operates a full order book trading platform for buying and selling bitcoins.
Y Combinator, Google Ventures (Kevin Rose and Chris Hutchins), Floodate, Initialized Capital, Rothenberg Ventures, and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian invested approximately $1 million into Buttercoin. A Swiss company, Centralway Ventures, invested an additional $250,000 into Buttercoin. Combined with other sources, Buttercoin raised a total of $1.6 million as of September 2013. Subsequently, Buttercoin raised an undisclosed sum from Wedbush Securities, making it the first bitcoin company to receive investment from a large Wall Street institution. 
- Cutler, Kim-Mai (August 20, 2013). "YC-Backed Buttercoin Uses Bitcoin To Attack The $500B-A-Year Remittances Economy". TechCrunch. Retrieved November 30, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Reutzel, Bailey (September 9, 2013). "Buttercoin Takes a Different Path to Handling Virtual Currency". PaymentsSource. Retrieved November 30, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Lomas, Natasha (September 18, 2013). "Swiss Company-Builder Centralway Opens $50M Fund, Invests $250k In Bitcoin Whitelabel Exchange Buttercoin". TechCrunch. Retrieved December 1, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Lua error in ...ribunto/includes/engines/LuaCommon/lualib/mwInit.lua at line 17: bad argument #1 to 'old_pairs' (table expected, got nil).
- Kharif, Olga (November 17, 2014). "Bitcoin Startup Buttercoin Draws Wedbush as Investor". "Bloomberg". Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- Buttercoin Official website