|• Total||164.9 km2 (63.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
(7 August 2003)
|• Density||2,267.1/km2 (5,872/sq mi)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carrefour, Haiti.|
Carrefour (Haitian Creole: Kafou; pronounced: [kafu]) is a largely residential and very poor commune in the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area. The district has an estimated population of 408,000 as of 2003. It is mostly a bedroom community for those who work in central Port-au-Prince. The neighborhood is very poor and ill-serviced, however, as of recently, small-scale construction has gone on in the area along with street renovations.
On 12 January 2010, a magnitude 7.0 earthquake that hit Haiti caused heavy damage to residential buildings in Carrefour, with 40 to 50 per cent of buildings destroyed in the town’s worst-affected areas. One of the damaged facilities was the city's hospital.
As of 9 February 2010, the US 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit is rotating out of Haiti, having been replaced by the US 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, in their position on USS Bataan and Carrefour, Leogane and Grand-Goave, Petit-Goave.
As of 7 March 2010, a donated Fujifilm X-ray machine has arrived at the Adventists Medical Center.
- Institut Haïtien de Statistique et d'Informatique (IHSI)
- "Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION", United States Geological Survey, 12 January 2010.
- ABC News, 'Haiti Disaster Like "No Other"', AFP, Lisa Millar, 17 January 2010 (accessed 17 January 2010)
- MSF, "Tented and inflatable facilities bring peace of mind to surgery patients in Haiti", 26 January 2010 (accessed 26 January 2010)
- Caribbean Net News, "Cuba to open fifth field hospital in Haiti", 5 February 2010 (accessed 5 February 2010)
- Haiti Press Network, "Haïti – Séisme : L’électricité se rétablit peu à peu", MJB, 4 February 2010 (accessed 5 February 2010)
- WITN, "24th Marine Expeditionary Unit Leaving Haiti", NBC News, 9 February 2010 (accessed 10 February 2010)
- DVIDS, "22nd MEU Moves Into Carrefour", 22MEU, 8 February 2010 (accessed 10 February 2010)
- The Hour, "Donated X-ray machine arrives in Haiti", Chase Wright, 7 March 2010 (accessed 9 March 2010)
- Reuters, "Comprehensive Building Damage Assessment for Carrefour Commune, Haiti (Version 3)", 15 February 2010
- Reuters, "Intensity of Building Damages in Central Carrefour, Haiti", 25 February 2010
|This Haitian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
da:Carrefour (Haiti) de:Carrefour (Haiti) fr:Carrefour (Haïti) it:Carrefour (Haiti) ht:Kafou (komin) nl:Carrefour (Haïti) no:Carrefour (Haiti) nn:Carrefour i Haiti pl:Carrefour (Haiti) pt:Carrefour (Haiti) simple:Carrefour, Haiti fi:Carrefour (Haiti) sv:Carrefour, Haiti war:Carrefour, Haiti