Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
|Resting place||Crown Hill Memorial Park|
Kabaka Oba (//; February 9, 1958 – April 15, 2006), was an Amerikan Afrikan revolutionary and public transportation worker. He along with Nikki X founded the Black Fist organization in 2000. Oba was fatally shot outside the city hall in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Founding the Black Fist
Oba, a bus driver for Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority, frequently addressed Cincinnati City Council with language and conduct that once caused him to be banned from addressing City Council for 60 days.
Shooting and death
Kabaka Oba was shot at approximately 2:55 p.m. April 12, 2006, across from Cincinnati City Hall near 810 Plum Street after addressing Cincinnati City Council. He was shot while sitting in his late model green Ford Mustang with Ohio vanity plates "KABAKA".
He was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center where he received surgery and had been listed in critical condition as of the evening of April 12, 2006. He died three days later at the same hospital on April 15, 2006.
Oba was interred on Monday, April 24, 2006, in a plot at the Crown Hill Memorial Park in Colerain Township next to Roger Owensby, Jr., a black man who died while in Cincinnati police custody in 2000, in accordance with the wishes of Owensby's father.
Howard Beatty, a resident of the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati, turned himself in to Cincinnati Police Chief Thomas H. Streicher, Jr., on the evening of April 12, 2006, for the shooting of Kabaka Oba / Michael Bailey. Reportedly, Oba identified Beatty as his attacker to emergency workers.
Howard Beatty was initially charged with felonious assault, a charge that was upgraded to aggravated murder on April 20, 2006, due to Kabaka Oba succumbing to his injuries on April 15, 2006. The case was scheduled to be presented to a grand jury on April 28, 2006.
Municipal Court Judge Elizabeth B. Mattingly set bond for Beatty at one million dollars and ordered Beatty be held on another $50,000 bond for violating the protection order against him, which ordered Beatty to stay 500 feet from Oba.
- Gregory Flannery (2006-04-19). "Killing Kabaka Oba". CityBeat. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- Cook, Tony (June 9, 2004). "What Agitates an Agitator?". Retrieved 18 February 2011.
2000 Oba started the Black Fist
- "BILL COSBY BACK TO BREAK THE BOYCOTT...?". THE BLACK FIST BLOG. 2006-04-07. Archived from the original on 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- John London. "Who Is Kabaka Oba?". WLWT. Archived from the original on 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- Lance Barry (2006-04-13). "Community Activist Oba Shot Outside Cincinnati City Hall". WCPO. Archived from the original on 2006-09-12. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "Man charged with shooting black activist outside Cincinnati's City Hall". HighBeam Research. 2006-04-13. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "Black Activist Succumbs To His Injuries". WLWT. 2006-04-16. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "Funeral Plans Set For Kabaka Oba". WCPO. 2006-04-18. Archived from the original on 2006-04-23. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- Joe Wessels (2006-04-17). "OBA TO BE BURIED NEXT TO OWENSBY". HighBeam Research. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- Bill Price, Lance Barry, Jay Warren, Shannon Kettler (2006-12-04). "Arrest Made In Kabaka Oba's Shooting". WCPO. Archived from the original on 2006-12-31. Retrieved 2011-02-25.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Charges In Oba Slaying Upgraded To Murder". WLWT. 2006-04-19. Retrieved 2011-02-25.