From World Afropedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Offa is one of the 77 woredas in the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples' Region of Ethiopia. Part of the Wolayita Zone, Offa is bordered on the south by the Gamo Gofa Zone, on the west by the Dawro Zone, on the northwest by Kindo Koysha, on the northeast by Sodo Zuria, and on the east by Humbo. The administrative center of Offa is Gesuba.

According to a 2004 report, Offa had 22 kilometers of all-weather roads and 56 kilometers of dry-weather roads, for an average road density of 133 kilometers per 1000 square kilometers.[1]

Prior to the Ethiopian 2005 General Elections, Amnesty International reports that a total of 38 Coalition for Unity and Democracy members were arrested in Offa between 11 and 17 February, and held for seven days on the accusation they held their campaign meeting without giving police 48 hours notice. Amnesty International included this incident as part of a series of government intimidation of opposition party activists.[2]

Demographics

Based on figures published by the Central Statistical Agency in 2005, this woreda has an estimated total population of 158,084, of whom 79,562 are men and 78,522 are women; 5,309 or 3.36% of its population are urban dwellers, which is less than the Zone average of 8.5%. With an estimated area of 588.13 square kilometers, Offa has an estimated population density of 268.8 people per square kilometer, which is greater than the Zone average of 156.5.[3]

The 1994 national census reported a total population for this woreda of 111,384 of whom 55,323 were men and 56,061 were women; 2,931 or 2.63% of its population were urban dwellers. The largest ethnic group reported in Offa was the Welayta (99.21%); all other ethnic groups made up 0.79% of the population. Welayta was the dominant first language, spoken by 99.34% of the inhabitants; the remaining 0.66% spoke all other primary languages reported.[4]

Notes

  1. "Detailed statistics on roads", SNNPR Bureau of Finance and Economic Development website (accessed 15 September 2009)
  2. "Ethiopia: The 15 May 2005 elections and human rights - recommendations to the government, election observers and political parties", Amnesty International website, Report AFR 25/002/2005 (accessed 20 May 2009)
  3. CSA 2005 National Statistics, Tables B.3 and B.4
  4. 1994 Population and Housing Census of Ethiopia: Results for Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples' Region, Vol. 1, part 1, Tables 2.1, 2.12, 2.15 (accessed 30 December 2008)

Coordinates: 6°45′N 37°30′E / 6.750°N 37.500°E / 6.750; 37.500

fr:Offa (woreda)