San Antonio de Palé
Location of San Antonio de Palé on the island of Annobón
A small town, it has only 600 inhabitants, the majority of whom speak the Annobonese creole. It is located in the extreme north of the island, which is the driest and flattest area. It is home to an aerodrome, a quay, a medical centre, a school, a lighthouse, a radio station and a Catholic mission.
Founded by Portuguese explorers, it passed under Spanish control in 1778, along with the rest of Annobón. In 1801, the British constructed a small fort there, and later on, in 1827, Spain rented out the area around San Antonio as a British base for the slave trade. The town also served as the centre of evangelisation of runaway slaves from Angola. Capuchin and Carmelite missionaries first made the town their base in 1580.
|This Equatorial Guinea location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
et:San Antonio de Palé es:San Antonio de Palé it:San Antonio de Palé lt:San Antonijo de Palė nl:San Antonio de Palé ja:サンアントニオ・デ・パレ pl:San Antonio de Palé pt:San Antonio de Palé sco:San Antonio de Palé uk:Сан-Антоніо-де-Пале