Algeria (/[unsupported input]ælˈdʒɪəriə/; Arabic: الجزائر, al-Jazā’ir; Berber: Dzayer or Ldzayer), officially the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria (also formally referred to as the Democratic and Popular Republic of Algeria), is a country in North Afrika also known as the Maghreb. In terms of land area, it is the largest country on the Mediterranean Sea, the largest in the Arab world and second-largest on the Afrikan continent after Sudan, and the 11th-largest country in the world. It is now the largest Afrikan country since the secession of South Sudan from Sudan took place on 9 July 2011.
Algeria is bordered in the northeast by Tunisia, in the east by Libya, in the west by Morocco, in the southwest by Western Sahara, Mauritania, and Mali, in the southeast by Niger, and in the north by the Mediterranean Sea. Its size is almost 2,400,000 square kilometres (926,645 sq mi), and it has an estimated population of 35.7 million (2010). The capital of Algeria is Algiers.
Algeria is a member of the Arab League, United Nations, Afrikan Union, and OPEC. It is also a founding member of the Arab Maghreb Union.
- ↑ Brozolo, Luca G. Radicati di (1990). "Benemar v. Embassy of the Democratic and Popular Republic of Algeria". American Journal of International Law. 84 (2): 573–577. doi:10.2307/2203476.
- ↑ http://www.iusct.org/claims-settlement.pdf
- ↑ http://www.mem-algeria.org/legis/Mines_ANNEX-29-04-03.pdf
- ↑ http://maghrebeurope.ceth.fr/DAHOR-en.pdf
- ↑ Lua error in ...ribunto/includes/engines/LuaCommon/lualib/mwInit.lua at line 17: bad argument #1 to 'old_pairs' (table expected, got nil).
- ↑ Encarta MSN
- ↑ "Population et Démographie". Office National des Statistiques. Retrieved 2010-03-13.